Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for ShalitOctober 16th, 2011 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israel has published the names of 477 jailed Palestinians who are to be released in exchange for captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, the BBC reported Sunday.
The Palestinian prisoners are set to be freed Tuesday as the first phase of the deal. A further 550 prisoners are to be released after Sgt Shalit returns home, BBC said.
Shalit, a soldier in the Israel Defense Forces, was captured in June 2006, aged 19, by Palestinian militants in a raid near the Gaza Strip.
The deal to release him was announced last Tuesday, after years of on-off negotiations, BBC said.
The list of 450 male and 27 women prisoners included in the first phase of the deal was released publicly Sunday.
Israelis who object to the swap have 48 hours to appeal to Israel’s highest court to intervene, before the Palestinian prisoners are freed, BBC said.
However, the court is unlikely to stop the deal, which enjoys broad public support.
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Israel likely to exchange 980 Palestinian prisoners for Shalit - Nov 30, 2009
- Israel frees Egyptian prisoners under swap deal - Oct 28, 2011
- Israel inner cabinet meets to discuss prisoner swap deal - Dec 21, 2009
- Israel frees 19 Palestinian prisoners in proof-of-life deal - Oct 02, 2009
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: bbc, gaza strip, gilad shalit, home bbc, israel, israel defense forces, israeli soldier, israelis, last tuesday, moscow, negotiations, palestinian militants, palestinian prisoners, palestinians, ria novosti, vm