Islamic rebels kill seven in AlgeriaAugust 29th, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Algiers, Aug 29 (DPA) A group of radical Islamic rebels is suspected of having killed six Algerian soldiers and a lorry driver, Algerian security sources said Friday.The attack by some 40 militants occurred early Friday on a motorway near the city of Batna, some 430 km east of the capital Algiers.
Another 14 soldiers were injured in the attack, which was reportedly carried out by a local Islamic group that considers itself close to the terrorist organisation Al Qaeda.
Some 50 people have died this month in Algeria as a result of violence carried out by Islamic radicals.
- Al-Qaeda 'banker' killed by security forces - Nov 23, 2010
- Four dead in terrorist attack in Algeria - Jun 11, 2010
- Al Qaeda planning to kidnap more Westerners - Nov 29, 2011
- Algeria moves Gaddafi's family to capital - Sep 03, 2011
- 14 soldiers killed in Algeria terrorist attack: Report (Lead) - Jul 30, 2009
- Gaddafi kin leave Algeria for Egypt: Report - Sep 26, 2011
- Al-Qaeda may take advantage of Middle East unrest: US official - Mar 05, 2011
- US citizen held in Spain for funding Al Qaeda - Sep 30, 2010
- Al Qaeda 'shopping for arms' in Africa - Nov 02, 2010
- Singer's album urges reopening of Algeria-Morocco border - Jun 16, 2012
- UAE, Algeria discuss bilateral ties - Apr 07, 2012
- Militants kill 11 Algerian border guards - Jul 01, 2010
- West fears al Qaeda could seize Gaddafi weapons: Report - Aug 24, 2011
- Algeria doesn't permit Gaddafi regime officials to enter - Sep 05, 2011
- Al Qaeda launches recruitment drive in Algeria - Feb 12, 2010