ISI, Pakistan Army knew about Osama hideout: WikiLeaksFebruary 28th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 28 (IANS) Officials of the Pakistan Army and spy agency ISI knew about Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s hideout in Abbottabad, according to a report by whistleblowing website WikiLeaks.
WikiLeaks Monday published more than five million emails from US-based global security analysis firm Stratfor. The messages were reportedly stolen by hacker group Anonymous.
“Mid to senior level ISI and Pak military, with one retired Pak military General, had knowledge of the OBL (Osama bin laden) arrangements and safe house,” Online news agency quoted Fred Burton, Stratfor vice-president for intelligence, as writing in an email.
The email was reportedly written May 13 to one of the company’s regional directors for South Asia soon after the killing of the Al Qaeda chief.
Bin Laden was killed May 2 in a unilateral operation launched by US special forces at his mansion in Abbottabad near the Pakistani capital.
However, Burton — considered one of the world’s foremost experts on security, terrorism and terrorist organisations — did not reveal his source, saying only that the source was in Pakistan.
He also wrote that less than a dozen people within the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Pakistani military had information on bin Laden.
In the May 13 email, he wrote that the source did not provide him with names.
At the same time, he asserted that the US intelligence knew about it.
According to Online news agency, Wikileaks has alleged that Stratfor gave a complimentary membership to former ISI chief Hamid Gul.
Hackers linked to the Anonymous group said they had stolen the emails of around 100 Stratfor employees in December last year. The group said it planned to publish the data so people would know the “truth” about Stratfor’s operations.
WikiLeaks in 2010 released secret video battle footage and thousands of US diplomatic cables about wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Pakistani army dismisses WikiLeaks' Osama allegations - Feb 29, 2012
- Was Osama not buried but body flown to US for cremation? - Mar 07, 2012
- WikiLeaks publishes 5 mn emails from thinktank Stratfor - Feb 27, 2012
- Pakistan to probe Osama raid - May 10, 2011
- Stratfor hits out at WikiLeaks over Bhopal spying charge - Feb 28, 2012
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Needle of suspicion pointing towards Pak Army, ISI over Osama's support network - May 05, 2011
- Catfight between Osama wives: Third accuses first of betrayal - Mar 15, 2012
- Pak warned Osama before US raids: Wikileaks - May 03, 2011
- ISI now claims it helped US locate Osama - Apr 28, 2012
- CIA "exploited intelligence leads" given by ISI to reach bin Laden: Pak FO - May 04, 2011
- Was Osama protected by ISI? - May 05, 2011
- ISI chief admits intelligence failure during Osama raid - May 13, 2011
- Apologise for security lapse on Osama: MQM chief - May 04, 2011
- Osama's seized mobile phone shows links to ISI - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, anonymous group, complimentary membership, foremost experts, fred burton, hacker group, inter services, isi chief, isi pakistan, military general, obl, pakistan army, pakistani military, regional directors, safe house, security analysis, spy agency, stratfor, terrorist organisations, wikileaks