ISI agent Fai to plead guilty in US lobbying caseDecember 7th, 2011 - 11:26 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 7 (IANS) Syed Ghulam Nabi Fai, the US based Kashmiri separatist leader accused of aiding a “decades-long” operation by Pakistan’s spy agency to influence US policy on Kashmir by funnelling money to members of Congress is expected to plead guilty Wednesday.
Fai, executive director of the Kashmiri American Council (KAC), was charged in July in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, bordering Washington with conspiracy to violate the Foreign Agents Registration Act and lying to federal agents.
The plea agreement hearing is scheduled to take place before US District Judge Liam O’Grady, according to the docket.
Prosecutors said Fai helped move about $4 million from Pakistan’s government through the Washington-based KAC to sway US lawmakers with campaign contributions and other lobbying activities. The council, headed by Fai, is “actually run” by elements of the Pakistani government, including Pakistan’s military intelligence service, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), the Justice Department said in a July statement announcing the charges.
Fai was charged along with Zaheer Ahmad, a US citizen who remains at large, according to prosecutors. Prosecutors separated Fai’s case from Ahmad’s Nov 23 and added a new charge of impeding the Internal Revenue Service.
An FBI affidavit said Fai received $500,000 to $700,000 a year from Pakistani intelligence, but never disclosed those links while serving as a supposedly independent lobbyist on Kashmir.
A cooperating witness, it said, told the FBI that 80 percent of Fai’s efforts were specifically dictated to him by the ISI.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- ISI spy Ghulam Nabi Fai gets 2 years jail (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- ISI spy Ghulam Nabi Fai gets 2 years jail - Mar 31, 2012
- Fai took millions from ISI to do their bidding in US - Dec 08, 2011
- ISI agent held in US for illegal lobbying on Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Fai's Kashmir lobby was front for Pakistani intelligence: US - Mar 31, 2012
- ISI funelled $4 mn into US to influence Kashmir policy - Jul 20, 2011
- ISI agent Fai pleads guilty in US lobbying case - Dec 08, 2011
- 'Kashmir group in US released ISI statements verbatim' (With ISI agent held in US for illegal lobbying on Kashmir) - Jul 20, 2011
- Fai fails to turn up, court defers hearing to Tuesday - Jul 22, 2011
- India hopes Fai's arrest exposes more ISI-funded lobbyists - Jul 23, 2011
- Pakistan registers concern on Fai arrest with US embassy - Jul 22, 2011
- The spy who used ISI 'Brylcreem' to sway US (Washington Newsletter) - Dec 11, 2011
- Kashmiri Pandits want Padgaonkar to go for 'Fai links' - Jul 23, 2011
- BJP targets Padgaonkar, Nayar for attending Fai seminars - Jul 21, 2011
- Kashmiri separatists may be questioned over Fai links - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: agents registration, alexandria virginia, arun kumar, campaign contributions, fbi affidavit, federal agents, inter services, internal revenue service, isi agent, kac, kashmiri american council, members of congress, military intelligence service, nabi, pakistani government, plea agreement, registration act, separatist leader, spy agency, zaheer