Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team gets access to judicial reportMarch 10th, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, March 10 (IANS) In the 2004 Ishrat Jahan shootout case, the Gujarat High Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) was Thursday given access to a magisterial report which is believed to have concluded that the incident was a cold-blooded murder.
A division bench of the court allowed the SIT access to Metropolitan Magistrate S.P. Tamang’s report which is kept with it in a sealed cover.
V.R. Toliya, assistant commissioner of police, who is assisting the SIT, moved an application before the high court seeking to acquire a copy of the magistrate’s report.
The bench comprising Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari allowed the plea stating: “When the SIT appointed by us is going to investigate the case, giving a certified copy of the magistrate’s report should not be a problem.”
Tamang, who held a judicial inquiry into the incident, concluded that it was a staged shootout.
Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan, Javed alias Pranesh Pillai, Jissan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana were killed in a shootout by police June,15, 2004.
The Gujarat police claimed that the slain people were attached to terror organization Lashkar-e-Taiba and were on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
SIT member Satish Verma and his team, including Toliya, recently raided a forensic science laboratory in Gandhinagar and recovered documents and a computer hard disk related to the shootout.
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team submits report - Apr 05, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: Revision petition filed - Aug 20, 2010
- Gujarat High Court gets free hand in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- High court adjourns hearing in Ishrat Jahan case - Sep 03, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team files report in court - Apr 20, 2011
- Court appoints new head of Ishrat Jahan case probe team - May 13, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: Supreme Court upholds special probe (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Gujarat hampering Ishrat Jahan shootout probe: Court - Apr 08, 2011
- Timeline: Ishrat Jahan shootout - Nov 21, 2011
- Court free to probe Ishrat Jahan case, rules apex court - Sep 06, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Court-ordered SIT given probe (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Team probing Ishrat Jahan killing seeks legal help - Dec 30, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan case: Top Gujarat official apologises to court - May 12, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Court inquires about SIT's view - Aug 23, 2010
- Court appoints amicus curiae in Ishrat Jahan case - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: abhilasha, amjad ali, assistant commissioner, cold blooded murder, commissioner of police, division bench, forensic science laboratory, gujarat high court, gujarat police, investigation team, jayant patel, johar, judicial inquiry, judicial report, kumari, lashkar e taiba, pillai, probe team, tamang, terror organization