Iron ore producers asked to fix prices for the long termSeptember 12th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) In an effort to bring down prices of steel products, the government Friday urged iron ore producers to enter into long-term agreements with steel manufacturers and ensure supplies.”Iron ore producers should have long-term agreements with steel manufacturers on supplies at reasonable rates,” steel secretary P.K. Rastogi said on the sidelines of a conference organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry, an industry lobby.
Iron ore and steel producers met last month to review their profitability.
“Talks between them are still on and we expect a positive outcome. It is in their interest,” Rastogi said.
He said such agreements were viable as steel prices were softening in the international market, and subsequently the domestic market has too witnessed a minor decline.
There is every possibility for a further downward revision of steel prices in the country, the steel secretary added.
Rastogi, however, said the government would not fix any price mechanism for steel products.
India’s steel demand is growing at 12 percent, with annual production of about 55 million tonnes.
- Government again warns against steel price hike - Jun 11, 2009
- Bengal's secondary steel sector face raw material shortage - Jan 26, 2011
- Karnataka steel industry seeks more iron ore - Sep 29, 2011
- 'Ore, exploration can take India-China trade to $100 bn' - Nov 17, 2011
- Odisha reiterates demand to ban iron ore export - Nov 16, 2011
- Essar Group doubles steel capacity at Hazira, Gujarat - Feb 24, 2012
- India may slap taxes, quotas to limit iron ore exports - May 19, 2010
- Steel price hike ruled out, cut might follow (Lead) - Aug 22, 2008
- India renews contract to supply iron ore to international firms - Jul 07, 2011
- JSW Steel scales down production to 30 percent - Sep 26, 2011
- BOC India to invest Rs 5.4 bn for plants in Odisha - Jul 17, 2012
- Regulate iron ore prices, say Orissa steel producers - May 24, 2011
- Steel ministry subsidy scheme for iron ore processing - Mar 26, 2012
- 'Mining ban hits iron ore supply to foundries' - Feb 29, 2012
- Apex court partially lifts mining ban in Bellary - Aug 05, 2011