Ireland beat Namibia to qualify for World T20March 24th, 2012 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, March 24 (IANS) Ireland became the second team to qualify for the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka after beating Namibia by nine wickets in the second final of the Qualifiers at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium (DICS) here Saturday.
Ireland bowlers, led by fast-medium bowlers Trent Johnston and Max Sorensen, restricted Namibia’s in-form batting line-up to just 94 for 6 in 20 overs. Ireland chased down the target in 10.1 overs to end at 96 for one, thanks to Paul Stirling’s unbeaten 59 off 32 balls with nine boundaries and a six.
With this win, Ireland avenged the loss in the opening league game of the tournament to Namibia.
Earlier, while Trent Johnston ended with figures of (two for 19) he was upstaged by Max Sorensen (2/8), who bowled a spell with no fewer than 17 dot balls, to earn the man of the match award.
The victory, apart from earning Ireland a ticket to Sri Lanka for the tournament proper to be staged from Sep 18 to Oct7, has also set up a final of the qualifying tournament against Afghanistan to be held later in the day.
The tournament winner joins Australia and the West Indies in Group B, while the losing finalist will complete Group A which also includes defending champion England and 2007 winner India.
Porterfield was thrilled at qualifying for yet another ICC global event.
“We came here with a goal of winning this tournament. The qualification has been achieved. We have done it the hard way but it is yet another great day for Irish sport. We just want to keep it going.”
Afghanistan have qualified for the tournament.
- ICC confirms squads for World Twenty20 - Aug 25, 2012
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Scoreboard of Netherlands' innings against Ireland - Mar 18, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 06, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: South Africa vs. Ireland, Group B - Mar 15, 2011
- Ireland opt to bowl against South Africa - Mar 15, 2011
- England elect to bat against Ireland - Mar 02, 2011
- Scoreboard of South Africa's innings against Ireland - Mar 15, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: Ireland vs. Netherlands - Mar 18, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: England vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 03, 2011
- Scoreboard: Bangladesh vs Ireland, World Cup Group B - Feb 26, 2011
- Ireland drop O'Brien as he opts for Bangladesh T20 League - Feb 10, 2012
- Ireland looking to replicate 2007 performance (Team profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 08, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 07, 2011
- Ireland elect to field against England - May 05, 2010
Tags: balls, boundaries, cricket stadium, defending champion, dics, dubai international, global event, icc world twenty20, international cricket, irish sport, league game, match, namibia, nine wickets, paul stirling, porterfield, t20, target, tournament winner, west indies