Irate tribals block road after attack on leaderMarch 14th, 2008 - 4:00 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, March 14 (IANS) Hundreds of tribals opposing the construction of a steel plant by the Tata Group in Orissa blocked a road after some unidentified men opened fire and injured one of their leaders, police said Friday. The men shot Jogendra Jamuda, a resident of Ambagadia village in the coastal Jajpur town when he was returning home from a weekly market on a two-wheeler Thursday evening.
Jamuda is one of the prominent leaders of the Visthapan Virodhi Jana Manch (VVJM), an umbrella outfit of tribal organisations that is spearheading the movement against the proposed Tata plant in the region.
Three motorcycle-borne assassins fired at Jamuda, said an eyewitness, Kanhu Badra. The victim fell off his motorcycle, along with two women who were riding pillion. The men beat him, Badra told IANS.
Local police officer K.C. Mund said the men had also assaulted the two women.
“Jamuda was rushed to the nearby hospital where his condition was said to be stable. He is out of danger,” Mund said.
When the news spread in the area, hundred of tribals, including women and children carrying their traditional weapons, blocked the road at Ambagadia demanding immediate arrest of the culprits.
“The incident took place in front of the Kalinga Nagar police station and the police failed to nab the culprit,” general secretary of the VVJM Rabindra Jarika said.
“Our blockade will continue till the attackers are arrested.”
The Kalinga Nagar area, located 120 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar, has seen repeated bouts of unrest after 13 tribals were killed and several injured in police firing Jan 2, 2006, when they gathered to protest the construction of a boundary wall of a proposed Tata Steel plant.
- Villagers ask for body of a victim killed in Kalinganagar police clash - May 14, 2010
- Tribals hold rally to mark killings - Jan 02, 2010
- Thousands protest displacement in Orissa - May 05, 2010
- Four injured in clashes with police in Orissa - Mar 30, 2010
- Road work begins in Orissa industrial hub opposed by tribals - Mar 29, 2010
- Tribals protest activist's murder in Orissa's industrial hub - May 03, 2008
- Tribal rights body demands probe of Kalinganagar violence - Jun 02, 2010
- Two Maoists surrender in Odisha - Jun 18, 2012
- Larsen and Toubro bags Rs.1,610 orders in Q1 - Jun 24, 2011
- Violence in Orissa industrial hub over Tata Steel plant - Jun 26, 2008
- Tribals stage protest against Tata Steel project in Orissa - Jan 02, 2009
- Four Maoists surrender in Odisha - May 25, 2012
- Two women Maoists surrender in Orissa, allege erosion of ideology - Nov 11, 2010
- Tribals clash with police in Orissa's Kalinga Nagar - Jan 19, 2010
- Five Maoists, including a boy, surrender in Orissa - Jan 15, 2011