Iraq to reopen Abu Ghraib prison with new nameJanuary 25th, 2009 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Jan 25 (Xinhua) Iraq would reopen Abu Ghraib prison next month with a new name, an official said Sunday.”I can confirm that we will reopen Abu Ghraib prison next month after changing its name to Baghdad Central Prison,” Busho Ibrahim, deputy justice minister, said.
He said the prison was renamed because the old name “has left a bitter feeling in the memories of Iraqis”.
Iraqis see the Abu Ghraib prison as a torture centre under the regime of Saddam Hussein and later a symbol of American abuse of some Iraqi prisoners.
Accounts of abuse and torture of some prisoners held in the Abu Ghraib prison came to public attention after photos depicting these were released by some US soldiers.
- 11 caught trying to escape Iraq jail - Aug 07, 2012
- Iraqi legislators oppose execution of Saddam regime officials - Jul 17, 2011
- US hands over Saddam's two half-brothers to Iraq - Jul 15, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Abu Ghraib music composition makes European debut - Aug 19, 2009
- Six killed in Iraq violence - Dec 05, 2011
- Former Saddam Hussein's confidant says that he is going to die in prison - Sep 06, 2010
- Iraq's head of anti-Baath committee assassinated - May 27, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Baghdad''s notorious Abu Ghraib prison reopens as luxury prison - Feb 22, 2009
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- U.S. officially ends nearly nine-year-long war in Iraq - Dec 15, 2011
- One killed, 40 injured in Abu Ghraib prison riots - Sep 12, 2009
- Iraqi civilians allege British soldiers of sexual, physical abuse - Nov 15, 2009