Iraq to file lawsuits over UN oil-for-food graftJune 29th, 2008 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 29 (Xinhua) The Iraqi government Sunday said it would file lawsuits in the US courts against companies and individuals who benefited illegally from the UN oil-for-food programme. Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said in a statement posted on the government website: “The Iraqi government has decided to file lawsuits in US courts against a group of companies and individuals that conspired to corrupt the UN oil-for-food programme.”
He said his government was taking this step to make those people, who benefited illegitimately from the programme, “accountable for their actions”.
However, the statement did not name any company or individual against whom the legal procedures were planned.
The oil-for-food programme was first initiated by the UN in 1995 under a UN Security Council Resolution 986 and ended the programme in late 2003.
The programme was intended to allow Iraq to sell oil on the world market in exchange for food, medicine, and other humanitarian needs for ordinary Iraqi citizens without allowing Iraq to rebuild its military.
Saddam Hussein’s regime allegedly embezzled millions of dollars from the scheme.
- Iraq to file lawsuits over UN oil-for-food programme - Jun 29, 2008
- Iraq to help Libya in chemical weapons' disposal - Apr 13, 2012
- Australian currency firm hired tainted Indian middleman: Report - Aug 15, 2010
- UN ready to remove 19 Indian vendors from blacklist - Feb 22, 2011
- Nine Kuwaiti claimants get $590 mn over Iraq invasion - Apr 30, 2010
- Iraq nominates oil expert as OPEC chief - Mar 06, 2012
- Oil-for-food scam: Supreme Court dismisses Natwar Singh's plea - Oct 05, 2010
- Natwar Singh seeks papers linked to his clean chit in scam - Jul 28, 2010
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- Saddam's cousin 'Chemical Ali' is executed - Jan 25, 2010
- Saddam Hussein's cousin "Chemical Ali" executed - Jan 25, 2010
- 70,000 killed in Iraq between 2004-2011 - Feb 29, 2012
- 'India declined to sell nuclear technology to Iran, Iraq and Libya' - May 30, 2012
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012