Iraq demands back ‘Saddam bottom’ taken by British soldierJanuary 17th, 2012 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 17 (IANS) Iraq has demanded back a metal chunk that formed the bottom of a bronze statue of late president Saddam Hussein that was taken by a British soldier when the statue was pulled down in Baghdad.
Nigel “Spud” Ely, 52, was guarding a camera crew in April 2003 while they filmed jubilant Iraqi people pulling down the giant Saddam statue in the capital city.
The then Special Air Service (SAS) soldier picked up a two-foot bronze part that formed part of Saddam’s backside and took it to Britain, The Sun reported.
Now the Iraqi government is claiming the metal piece was part of the country’s “cultural antiquity”.
Ely has been interviewed by Derbyshire police after the Iraqi embassy made a complaint.
He has turned the metal piece into an artwork and says that makes him its legal owner.
He also tried unsuccessfully to auction it last year to help raise money for injured troops.
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- 800 bodies found in Iraq mass grave - Apr 15, 2011
- Iraqi legislators oppose execution of Saddam regime officials - Jul 17, 2011
- Iraq's head of anti-Baath committee assassinated - May 27, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Former Saddam Hussein's confidant says that he is going to die in prison - Sep 06, 2010
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- Iraqis stage demonstration after Gates 'US military to stay for years' remark - Apr 10, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- US military hands over former headquarters to Iraq - Dec 02, 2011
- All US troops out of Iraq - Dec 18, 2011
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- TV host killed in Iraq bombing - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: antiquity, artwork, backside, baghdad, british soldier, bronze statue, camera crew, chunk, ely, foot bronze, iraq, iraqi embassy, iraqi government, london jan, money, president saddam hussein, saddam hussein, saddam statue, sas, spud