Iraq blames failure to sell Saddam’s yacht on financial crisisJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Jan 22 (DPA) A luxury yacht that belonged to Saddam Hussein failed to tempt a buyer from Europe owing to the credit crunch, an Iraqi government spokesman said Wednesday.”The Ocean Breeze yacht will return to the southern port of Basra from the Greek port of Piraeus,” Ali al-Dabbagh said in a statement.
Al-Dabbagh added that the global crisis had discouraged buyers and sharply reduced the price which the Iraqi government considered the vessel’s true value.
The Iraqi finance ministry had been instructed to pay two percent of the yacht’s value to a lawyer handling the legal paperwork.
“Iraq will also pay costs to a Greek company as part of an agreement to maintain the yacht since July 2008,” the statement added.
The vessel would return to Iraq when the maintenance contract with the Greek company runs out at the end of January.
Despite features including a missile-launcher and operating theatre, no one was willing to pay $30 million for the 82-metre-long vessel.
Ocean Breeze also has a submarine, a helicopter landing pad and bathrooms featuring taps of gold.
The yacht, which was built in 1981, was initially called the Basra Breeze and was in Saudi Arabia.
- Iraq to help Libya in chemical weapons' disposal - Apr 13, 2012
- No takers for Saddam''s 21 million pound yacht - Jan 22, 2009
- Saddam Husseins yacht for sale - Nov 03, 2008
- 835 await execution in Iraqi prisons - Dec 14, 2010
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- Iraq nominates oil expert as OPEC chief - Mar 06, 2012
- Saddam's cousin 'Chemical Ali' is executed - Jan 25, 2010
- 70,000 killed in Iraq between 2004-2011 - Feb 29, 2012
- US hands over Saddam's two half-brothers to Iraq - Jul 15, 2011
- Iraq denies it seeks advanced Russian weapons - Apr 13, 2009
- Saddam Hussein's cousin "Chemical Ali" executed - Jan 25, 2010
- Six killed in Iraq bomb attack - Mar 06, 2011
- US judge dismisses Blackwater case; Iraqis upset - Jan 02, 2010
- Saddam Hussain's henchman Chemical Ali executed - Jan 25, 2010
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012