Iranian supreme leader pardons over 1,200 prisonersAugust 29th, 2011 - 3:06 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 29 (IANS) Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has pardoned 1,218 prisoners as a goodwill gesture on the occasion of Eid ul-Fitr, a media report said.
The announcement comes following a request from judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani to grant clemency to the prisoners as part of the celebrations to mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan, ISNA news agency reported Sunday.
Muslims across the world end their month-long fast with the celebration of Eid ul-Fitr.
- Iran pardons 130 inmates ahead of Eid al-Fitr - Aug 16, 2012
- Tomorrow is Eid ul-Fitr - Aug 30, 2011
- Karzai prays for welfare of Afghans - Aug 19, 2012
- UAE moon sighting committee to meet Aug 29 - Aug 23, 2011
- UAE charity to pay for deportation of 200 inmates - Sep 06, 2010
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- Iranian leader asks Muslims to remain vigilant - Aug 19, 2012
- Road accidents claim about 130 lives in Indonesian - Sep 09, 2010
- Dikshit greets people on Eid eve - Sep 10, 2010
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Obama sends out Eid-ul-Fitr greetings to Muslims - Sep 10, 2010
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Chinese Muslims celebrate Eid - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, celebration, celebrations, clemency, eid, eid ul fitr, goodwill gesture, iranian supreme leader, isna news agency, judiciary, larijani, muslims, pardons, prisoners, ramadan, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, tehran, ul