Iranian party nominates former parliament speaker for presidencyAugust 27th, 2008 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 27 (Xinhua) Iran’s reformist National Confidence Party (NCP) has officially nominated its leader Mehdi Karroubi as party’s candidate in the country’s next presidential election due to be held mid-2009, the Press TV satellite channel reported Wednesday. Karroubi was nominated unanimously to run for the president in Iran’s 10th presidential race as the party’s candidate, spokesman Ismail Gerami-Moqaddam was quoted as saying.
The former parliament speaker for two terms has not yet responded to his party’s choice and will announce his decision in the coming weeks, Gerami-Moqaddam added.
Karroubi, secretary general of the party, stood as a candidate in the 9th presidential elections in 2005.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei asked Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to prepare for a second term in office.
Ahmadinejad has been facing criticism from the public and pro-reform opponents over the state of country’s economy and rising inflation.
Iran’s inflation rate hit about 26 percent this year, leaving price hikes the biggest problem for ordinary Iranians.
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Khamenei formally endorses Ahmadinejad's second presidential term - Aug 03, 2009
- Masters degree must for Iran's lawmakers - Apr 29, 2011
- Punitive West sanctions goading Ahmadinejad to crack down on Iran opposition - Aug 12, 2010
- Ahmadinejad warns opposition ahead of protests - Jun 04, 2010
- Six-year jail for former Iranian reformist - Jan 17, 2010
- Thousands turn out for Iran revolution anniversary - Feb 11, 2010
- For Iran's students, election choice is between bad, worse - May 20, 2009
- Iran's opposition candidate Rezaei withdraws poll complaint - Jun 24, 2009
- Khamenei supercedes Ahmadinejad over minister's resignation (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Is Iran President Ahmadinejad about to resign over row with Khamenei? - Apr 30, 2011
- Iran's main opposition daily newspaper banned - Aug 17, 2009
- Planned Tehran march in support of Egypt protests will test Iranian regime: Opposition leader - Feb 09, 2011
- Khamenei warns opposition against undermining establishment - Dec 13, 2009
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012