Iranian navy detects US aircraft carrier in drill zoneDecember 29th, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 29 (IANS) The Iranian naval forces have detected a US aircraft carrier in the area of its ongoing military exercises, said Iranian Navy’s deputy commander Seyyed Mahmoud Mousavi.
An Iranian navy’s aircraft has shot images of the US carrier spotted in an area where Iran’s naval units were stationed for the drills, Xinhua quoted Press TV citing Mousavi, who is also the spokesman for the ongoing manoeuvres.
Mousavi, however, did not provide more details about the US aircraft carrier.
The detection of the US aircraft carrier demonstrated that Iran’s naval forces were precisely monitoring all the moves by non-regional powers in the region, he added.
On Saturday, the Iranian navy launched a 10-day exercise, dubbed Velayat 90, which covers a length of 2,000 km stretching from the east of the Strait of Hormuz, an important passage for suppliers to the Middle East.
The Pentagon, the US defence department, Wednesday warned Iran against any attempt to block the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil route.
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran praises 'humanitarian' US navy - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Iran to hold war games - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: defence department, deputy commander, exercise, images, iran, iranian navy, mahmoud, middle east, military exercises, mousavi, pentagon, regional powers, spokesman, strait of hormuz, tehran, us aircraft carrier, xinhua