Iranian MPs to visit Gaza to celebrate resistanceJanuary 26th, 2009 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 26 (IANS) A team of five Iranian parliament members will travel to Gaza to congratulate the Palestinians over their resistance during 22 days of Zionist assault on the territory, the official IRNA news agency reported Monday. “The delegation will travel to Gaza to convey the message of Iranian parliament members and its speaker to the head of Palestine’s legitimate government,” lawmaker Mahmoud Ahmadi was quoted as saying.
Iran recognises Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh as Palestine’s legitimate government. The Islamic movement currently controls the Gaza Strip.
According to Ahmadi, the foreign ministry was taking necessary steps to speed up the required procedures for the parliamentarians to get Egyptian visas so that they could visit Gaza as quick as possible.
About 231 members of the parliament were keen to travel to Gaza, he said.
Since the Iranian parliament is to contribute to the reconstruction of Gaza, the delegation would also visit different parts of Gaza to assess the volume of damage the territory has suffered duo to the Israeli attacks, the parliamentarian added.
Iran strongly criticized Israel for its military offensive against Gaza and has also demanded the international court to begin trial against Israeli leaders for their war crimes.
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Hamas team embarks on Arab tour via Egypt - Mar 04, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Ahmadinejad predicts failure of Mideast talks - Sep 03, 2010
- Palestinians chastise Ahmadinejad over Mideast talks remarks - Sep 05, 2010
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- More international flotillas headed for Gaza Strip - Jun 17, 2010