Iranian military shells rebel positions in northern IraqMay 13th, 2008 - 11:45 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, May 13 (DPA) Iranian artillery Tuesday shelled villages in northern Iraq where Iranian Kurdish rebels are believed to be operating, according to a local Iraqi Kurdish official. The artillery shelled several villages in the area of Bashdar in Sulaymanyah province in Iraq’s Kurdish Autonomous Region, the official said on condition of anonymity.
There were no casualties as the local population in the villages on the Iran-Iraq border had previously fled the area for fear of artillery shelling.
Iranian army artillery frequently shells villages in the mountains of Sulaymanyah where it says rebels from the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK) are based.
The PJAK is part of an alliance of Kurdish rebel groups, including the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). The rebel alliance is engaged in an armed campaign in support of their demand for autonomy and rights for the Kurdish minorities in Iran and Turkey.
Kurdish rebel groups are believed to be operating from northern Iraq where Iraq’s Kurds established an autonomous government, which is part of a federal Iraq.
- Iranian artillery shells Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq - Mar 13, 2008
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- 26 militants killed in Iran - Aug 24, 2009
- Smugglers in Iraq Blunt Sanctions Against Tehran - Jul 09, 2010
- Iraq condemns Iranian shelling in its territory - May 05, 2009
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- U.S. teacher shot dead by student in Iraq - Mar 03, 2012
- US names Al Qaeda-linked outfit as terrorist entity - Jan 06, 2012
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- US sanctions Kurdish separatists - Oct 15, 2009
- After war, Iraqis tell their tales through films - Apr 22, 2012
- Iranian 'enmity against God' student's execution halted by prison Governor - Dec 27, 2010
- Hotel fire kills 40 in Iraq - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: anonymity, army artillery, autonomous government, autonomous region, autonomy, casualties, dpa, iranian army, iraq border, kurdish rebels, kurdistan, kurdistan workers party, kurds, northern iraq, pjak, pkk, rebel alliance, rebel groups, rebel positions, shells