Iranian actress faces legal problems after Hollywood movieAugust 21st, 2008 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 21 (DPA) An Iranian actress faces legal problems back home after she played in a Hollywood movie and sought to leave for California to shoot a new film, official IRNA news agency has reported.Golshifteh Farahani, who played beside Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe in Ridley Scott’s “Body of Lies”, was Tuesday leaving for Los Angeles to negotiate a new film role, an unnamed official told IRNA Wednesday.
But the 25-year-old was banned by the police from leaving Iran, the source said without giving further details.
IRNA speculated that she might have been stopped because she decided to hold negotiations with Hollywood without the prior obligatory permission from the Islamic guidance and cultural ministry, the local watchdog for writers and artists.
Another reason could be that Farahani was seen in the film’s trailer online without the obligatory Islamic dress code, including a scarf and long gown to hide her hair and figure. “Body of Lies” is set to be released in October in the US and many European countries.
Farahani and Shohreh Aghdashloo are the only Iranian actresses, who have ever played in big Hollywood productions. Aghdashloo was nominated for an Academy Award as supporting actress for the 2003 movie “House of Sand and Fog”.
In March this year, Iranian cultural authorities closed down nine magazines for having reported about the private life of Western celebrities and for printing pictures and details of “immoral” foreign artists.
The local press commission further warned 13 other publications to avoid such stories or risk being closed down as well.
The ban has however had no impact on the youth as they continue to follow the same news on the internet, including on Persian-language sites run from abroad.
- Actress banned from Iran over nude photo - Jan 19, 2012
- Harden, Aghdashloo team up for 'The No Game' - Sep 03, 2009
- Leonardo DiCaprio''s love interest in new flick fears exile from Iran - Oct 09, 2008
- Jolie to join 'The Counsellor' cast? - Apr 11, 2012
- Iran launches Spanish language TV channel - Feb 01, 2012
- Iranian actress Aghdashloo has no plan to return home - Aug 12, 2008
- Ancient Persian cairn wall found in Iran - Aug 29, 2011
- Iran may ban dogs from public places - Apr 14, 2011
- Noomi Rapace refuses to look sexy - May 14, 2012
- Star-studded cast, muddled plot fails to impress in 'Body of Lies' (Hollywood Film Review - Rating **) - Oct 17, 2008
- Ban Indian films, demands Pakistan daily - Oct 07, 2011
- Iran sends troops to Syria - May 30, 2012
- ‘Berlin Film Festival’ To Release A Tribute To Jafar Panahi, The Imprisoned Iranian Film ... - Jan 19, 2011
- Iranian president's media adviser jailed - Nov 21, 2011
- Artistes still struggling for freedom of expression: Aamir - Feb 10, 2011