Iranian accused of spying for Israel gets death sentenceJune 30th, 2008 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 30 (Xinhua) An Iranian citizen was given death sentence by the country’s Revolutionary Court for spying for Israel, Press TV reported Monday. Ali Ashtari, 45, was arrested some one-and-a-half years ago. The court found him guilty of high treason and sentenced him to death.
“Ali Ashtari had links with the spy agencies of the Israeli regime,” the report quoted an official with Iran’s intelligence ministry as saying.
Ashtari had “transferred sensitive information from Iran’s research, military and defence centres, including the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran, to Mossad”, the official said on condition of anonymity.
“Ashtari provided information about certain Iranian figures to Mossad and made efforts to connect experts of these centres to the Israeli intelligence agency,” he said.
Iranian officials said this is an initial verdict and would require a final approval from the country’s Supreme Court, adding that the defendant has the right to appeal against the verdict.
Earlier, 13 Iranian Jews were imprisoned in 1999 by the authorities on suspicion of spying.
Iran has often accused the US, Israel and Britain for supporting espionage activities in Iran.
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- CIA spy arrested in Iran? - Dec 17, 2011
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Alleged spy for Israel executed in Iran - Nov 22, 2008
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- 22 Azerbaijanis suspected of spying for Iran held - Mar 15, 2012
- Iran sentences CIA 'spy' to death - Jan 09, 2012
- Iran dismantles US-linked spy network, arrests 30 CIA agents - May 22, 2011
- US condemns Iran death verdict to 'CIA spy' - Jan 10, 2012
- "Israeli linked" spy, terrorist network arrested by Iran - Jan 11, 2011
- Iran overturns death sentence for CIA 'spy' - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran arrests all suspects in nuke scientists' killings - Jun 29, 2012
- Man gets death for killing Iranian N-scientist - Aug 29, 2011
- Iran discovers Israeli spy network - Nov 24, 2008
- Lebanese spying for Israel sentenced to death - Aug 18, 2010