‘Iran will hit Tel Aviv, US fleet in Gulf if attacked’July 8th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 8 (Xinhua) Iran will strike Tel Aviv and the US fleet in the Gulf as a first response to any attack against the country, an aide to Iran’s topmost leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Tuesday. “The Zionist regime (Israel) is pressuring White House (US) officials to prepare a military attack against Iran,” Ali Shirazi, Khamenei’s representative in the naval division of the Revolutionary Guards of Iran, was quoted as saying by Iran’s ISNA news agency.
“If they commit such a silly move, Tel Aviv and the US fleet in the Persian Gulf will be Iran’s first targets and they will be burned with Iran’s crushing response,” Shirazi said.
He warned that the US interests around the world would also be hit if Iran is attacked over its nuclear activities.
“The first bullet fired by the United States at Iran will be followed by Iran’s response of burning down its vital interests around the globe,” Shirazi said.
“The Iranian nation will never accept bullying…(and) no forces in the world can confront it,” he added.
Iran’s English-language satellite channel Press TV reported earlier Tuesday that missile units of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have begun military maneuvers in the Gulf to improve combat readiness and capability.
The war games, called Payambar-e Azam III, were conducted by missile units of the IRGC’s naval and air forces, Press TV quoted Fars news agency as saying.
The war games came after IRGC Commander Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said in late June that Tehran would impose controls on shipping in the strategic Strait of Hormuz if it was attacked.
The US and its allies have accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear programme.
Iran insists its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes only.
The Bush administration said it focused on diplomacy to try to resolve Iran’s nuclear issue, but will take “no option off the table”.
Some observers believe that it is still possible that the US and Israel would attack Iranian targets for Tehran’s suspected nuclear programmes.
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran offers escort to next aid convoy to Gaza - Jun 07, 2010
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran ready to hold nuclear talks: Minister - Sep 09, 2012
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- US: 'Iran preparing suicide bomb boats' - Feb 13, 2012
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Sanctions benefited Iran, says Khamenei - Feb 03, 2012
- US under illusion that sanctions are affecting Iran: Khamenei - Mar 09, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
- 'Iran to boost missile systems to safeguard itself from US-Israel aggression' - Jan 05, 2011