Iran warns US over sending more troops to AfghanistanDecember 22nd, 2008 - 2:55 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 22 (DPA) Iran Sunday warned the US over the dispatch of a further 3,000 troops to Afghanistan early next year in support of some 30,000 troops already involved in the conflict with the Taliban.Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said in a press briefing in Tehran that the US should be careful of the consequences of its new policies in Afghanistan and not make the same mistakes as in Iraq.
US media Saturday reported that Defence Secretary Robert Gates ordered the deployment of an additional combat aviation brigade, equipped with attack and transport helicopters.
Three or four combat brigades would follow in late spring or early summer in response to the request by General David McKiernan, commander of NATO-led troops in Afghan for at least 20,000 extra troops.
“We will carefully follow these new (US) policies in Afghanistan,” official news agency IRNA quoted Mottaki as saying.
Iran calls on a swift withdrawal of US and other Western forces from Afghanistan and Iraq and power transfer to the local governments in Kabul and Baghdad.
- Iranian foreign minister sacked - Dec 13, 2010
- Bullying powers no longer effective: Iran - Jun 26, 2010
- Iran claims proof of Pak based terror group carrying out attacks against it - Dec 16, 2009
- Iran's nuclear achievement has angered US: official - Apr 11, 2010
- US sending 3,000 more troops to Afghanistan: Reports - Dec 20, 2008
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Iran says Israel behind Quran burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- Iran to issue visas for mothers of detained US hikers - May 11, 2010
- Iran's supreme leader backs Kashmir 'struggle' (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- US adding troops to fight Taliban in Pakistan safe-haven - Feb 18, 2009
- Iran to prosecute US hikers for espionage - Dec 14, 2009
- Iran vows to react swiftly to any Israeli attack - Aug 19, 2012
- Iran to review ties with Britain: Foreign minister - Jan 18, 2010
- Iran to release one of three US hikers held for over a year - Sep 10, 2010