Iran warns Europe against crossing nuke offer ‘red lines’May 4th, 2008 - 12:40 am ICT by admin
Tehran, May 3 (Xinhua) Iran Saturday warned European countries not to cross its “red lines” in a new offer of incentives to coax Tehran to roll back its nuclear programme, the official IRNA news agency reported. “The European countries are well aware of Iran’s red lines,” Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said during a joint press conference with his Yemeni counterpart Abu Bakr al-Qurbi.
Referring to his recent meeting with British Foreign Secretary David Miliband in Kuwait, Mottaki said he was informed that May 2 the Group 5+1, which consists of five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany, would gather in London to write a letter to Tehran.
“I told him that you are quite familiar with Iran’s red lines, therefore, you should avoid crossing those lines,” Mottaki said.
Iran has made an exact assessment of regional and world developments and is well prepared to resolve problems through dialogue, he said.
Mottaki also referred to the recent visit of a Russian delegation to Tehran, saying that “we have informed Russian delegation of the content of our proposal package.”
Major countries negotiating with Iran have agreed on a revamped offer of incentives to try to coax the country to roll back its disputed nuclear programme, Miliband said Friday.
“We’ve got an agreement on an offer that will be made to the government of Iran,” Miliband said following a meeting of the foreign ministers from the Group 5+1.
The six parties have previously promised to sweeten the package of political, security and economic incentives they put on the table in June 2006 if Iran suspends its uranium enrichment.
The incentives forged in 2006 included an offer by the US to provide Iran with peaceful nuclear technology, lift some sanctions and conduct direct negotiations with Tehran.