Iran vows support to Syrian leadershipMarch 31st, 2012 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, March 31 (IANS) Iran “would not spare any effort to” support the Syrian leadership, its Iranian deputy foreign minister said on a visit here Saturday.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran would not spare any effort to embrace the Syrian Arab Republic and support its leadership, regime and people in the direction that would preserve its resistance role against aggression and the Zionist state,” Hussein Amir Abdollahian, Iranian deputy foreign minister for Arab and African affairs, said after a meeting with Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour on bilateral and regional issues, reported Xinhua.
“The only solution to the Syrian crisis is the political process and nothing else,” Abdollahian said, noting that Iran had made efforts “to help Mr. Kofi Annan succeed in his Syrian mission. ”
Annan, a former UN secretary general, was delegated last month as the joint special envoy of the United Nations and Arab League to mediate a solution to the Syrian crisis.
Abdollahian said Iran had seen “the political reforms announced by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and that he is working on implementing (them) … and we are seeking that the Syrian people should not be harmed in anyway, and to prevent by all means any foreign intervention.”
Abdollahian met Friday Lebanese President Michel Suleiman and handed him a letter from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad confirming “Iran’s permanent support for Lebanon in various fields and at all levels,” according to a report by the state-run National News Agency.
- Russia to attend meeting on Syria in Iran - Aug 09, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Iraq shares concern over Syrian issue: Annan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Iraq to help in solving Syrian crisis - Jul 11, 2012
- Iran condemns foreign intervention in Syria - Oct 05, 2011
- Annan to visit Iran next week on Syria - Apr 05, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- China, Russia to make joint efforts for Syria - May 11, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: african affairs, bashar al assad, beirut march, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, islamic republic of iran, kofi annan, lebanese president, letter from iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, national news agency, political reforms, president bashar, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, republic of iran, syrian arab republic, syrian leadership, syrian president bashar al, un secretary general, zionist state