Iran urges regular NAM consultationsJuly 28th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 28 (IANS) Iran Monday called for closer cooperation and dialogue among the member countries of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) to effectively address the challenges facing the 118-member bloc, the official IRNA news agency reported. Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki during a meeting with his Omani counterpart Yousuf bin Alawi on the eve of the grouping’s ministerial meeting here, said the bloc must offer itself as “an effective platform to resolve regional and international issues and secure peace in the backdrop of emerging realities of global and regional politics”.
Malaysian Foreign Minister Rais Yatim said Monday in Kuala Lumpur that the NAM should be restructured in order to reach its objectives.
Yatim told IRNA before leaving for Tehran that the movement “is faced with new challenges in the beginning of the 21st century which makes the NAM restructuring a necessity”.
He also stressed the need for further cooperation among the member states to turn the movement into an influential international organization.
The NAM expert meeting began in Tehran Sunday with an inaugural address by Mottaki, who called on the NAM member states to support Tehran’s bid to get non-permanent membership of the UN Security Council for the year 2009-10.
- Iran, North Korea call for expanded ties - Sep 01, 2012
- NAM to put economic role on agenda in Tehran summit: Official - Aug 25, 2012
- G15 meeting begins in Tehran - May 15, 2010
- Putin praises NAM for improving global security - Aug 30, 2012
- Expert-level NAM meeting kicks off in Tehran - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran-Russia ties key to 'regional, global peace' - Sep 02, 2012
- India a global leader, says Ahamadinejad - May 18, 2010
- Iranian, Egyptian presidents discuss NAM objectives, region - Aug 30, 2012
- Reform global governance structures, India urges NAM (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
- PM leaves for Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
- Iran ready to expand ties with North Korea - Aug 28, 2012
- Bullying powers no longer effective: Iran - Jun 26, 2010