Iran, Turkey ink pact to fight drug trafficking, terrorismAugust 15th, 2008 - 1:29 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, Aug 14 (Xinhua) Turkey and Iran Thursday signed agreements to cooperate in the fight against illicit drug trafficking, organised crime and terrorism, the semi-official Anatolia news agency reported. The cooperation agreements were signed during a high-level meeting in Istanbul between the Turkish and Iranian delegation, chaired by Turkish President Abdullah Gul and his visiting counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad respectively.
Earlier in the day, Ahmadinejad arrived in the Turkish city starting his controversial first visit to Turkey during which he will discuss Tehran’s nuclear issue and bilateral economic cooperation.
The Iranian leader met his Turkish counterpart Abdullah Gul and was also due to hold talks with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and other senior Turkish officials.
Following the meeting, Turkish Interior Minister Besir Atalay said that a committee would be established to follow illicit drug trafficking, illegal migration, human smuggling and various other crimes both in Turkish and Iranian parts of the border.
Atalay said that the agreement, signed to establish the committee, was a wide-range one in the field of security. It also included sharing of information and intelligence between the two countries and assist each other in those fields.
Turkish State Minister Mehmet Simsek and Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki also singed cooperation agreements on environment and transportation between the two countries.
- Turkey offers to dramatically increase sale of military hardware to Pak - Dec 08, 2010
- Turkey quake toll rises to 582 - Oct 29, 2011
- 1,000 feared killed as major quake jolts Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
- An Islamabad-Istanbul train that will traverse 6,500 km - Apr 18, 2011
- Turkish PM warns of 'disastrous' consequence if Israel strikes Iran - Apr 01, 2012
- 13 die in Turkish prison fire - Jun 17, 2012
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- Turkey rebuffs Iranian invitation to NAM summit - Aug 25, 2012
- Iran wants n-talks in Istanbul - Mar 30, 2012
- Turkey quake toll reaches 279 - Oct 25, 2011
- Turkey, Kyrgyzstan to lift visa restrictions - Apr 27, 2011
- Obama speaks with foreign leaders on Egypt situation - Jan 31, 2011
- Turkey to do whatever needed over jet incident - Jun 24, 2012
- Turkey role model for Islamic states: Gilani - May 22, 2012