Iran to speed up uranium enrichmentJune 13th, 2011 - 3:43 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 13 (IANS) Iran has produced over 50 kg of 20-percent enriched uranium and would triple the output from the current level to supply fuel to the Tehran research reactor, an official said here Sunday.
“We need 120 kg enrichment up to 20 percent. Of course, we have been able to produce successfully over 50 kg,” said Ali-Asghar Soltanieh, Iran’s permanent representative to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
“But we still need (more), we have to speed up, because Tehran research reactor is in desperate need for fuel,” he said here in an exclusive interview with Xinhua. The reactor will produce radioisotopes for hospitals.
Soltanieh said the Iranian parliament has passed a bill to build more nuclear power plants in the country to produce some 20,000-megawatt of electricity.
He said Iran will welcome any country that is ready to participate in the project. Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said Tuesday that Bushehr nuclear power plant, Iran’s first such plant, will be connected to the national grid within a month.
- Iran produces 70 kg high-grade enriched uranium - Oct 18, 2011
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran to remove fuel from its first nuclear power plant - Feb 27, 2011
- Iran has produced 17 kg of 20 percent enriched uranium: Official - Jun 23, 2010
- Tests conducted on Iran's n-plant turbines - Aug 24, 2011
- Iran claims production of nuke yellowcake - Dec 06, 2010
- Iran to rethink making 20 percent enriched uranium - Jul 29, 2010
- 'Iran has 25 kg of 20 percent enriched uranium' - Aug 27, 2010
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran to build 10 nuke enrichment sites within one year - Feb 08, 2010
- Iran to continue uranium enrichment despite swap deal - Jun 03, 2010
- Iran says can produce nuclear fuel - Jan 08, 2011
- Iran's sole n-power plant becomes operational - May 19, 2011
- Iran starts 20 percent uranium enrichment process (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Iran asks assurance of nuke fuel supply before swap deal - May 10, 2010
Tags: ali akbar, ali asghar, atomic energy agency, desperate need, electricity, foreign minister, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, iranian parliament, megawatt, national grid, nuclear power plant, nuclear power plants, parliament, research reactor, salehi, tehran, uranium enrichment, xinhua