Iran to launch its first satellite soon: AhmadinejadAugust 16th, 2008 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, Aug 16 (IANS) Iran would launch its first satellite in the “near future”, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said, official IRNA news agency reported Saturday. The president, concluding his two-day Turkey visit, told reporters here Friday that the satellite and the rocket carrying it have been developed by Iranian scientists but did not say when the launching would take place.
“This satellite, the rocket that would launch it, and the land station from which it would be launched are entirely made in Iran, by Iranian scientists and technicians,” he said.
Tehran early this month had staged a massive naval exercise in the Persian Gulf during which it test fired a number of rockets, some of which are believed to be nuclear capable, that could reach any part of arch enemy Israel.
Ahmadinejad’s Turkey visit coming at a time of escalating tension with the West over its enrichment activities is seen by analysts as a significant diplomatic offensive by Tehran to garner support.
Iran has been asked to respond to a European Union (EU) offer that required it to halt its nuclear programme in return for trade concessions and aid. But the Islamic country so far has not come up with any definite response to the EU demands.
Many countries in the West suspect that Iran has a nuclear weapons development programme in the guise of a nuclear power plan. Tehran has denied the charge but has refused to stop its enrichment activities.
According to semi-official Anatolia news agency, Ankara is expected to announce its role as a “facilitator” in a bid to resolve the controversy.
Ankara is planning to tell the Iranian leadership that Tehran has the right to carry on nuclear activities for peaceful purposes, while making a series of “suggestions” for ending the dispute, the news agency said.
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to unveil nuclear achievements Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran to send man into space by 2019 - Jul 24, 2010
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran denies Greece 500,000 barrels of oil - Feb 26, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Iran nuke talks set for Istanbul - Apr 01, 2012
- Iran willing to talk about nuclear programme: EU - Oct 30, 2010
- Iran claims being hit by second cyber attack - Apr 26, 2011
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran uses new machines to enrich uranium: IAEA - Aug 10, 2010