Iran to launch communication satellite soon: PresidentAugust 24th, 2008 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 24 (IANS) Iran has the technology to develop satellites and would soon send a communication satellite into the orbit, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said, official IRNA news agency reported Sunday.”Iran has obtained the technology to build satellites and will use its know-how to launch its first remote sensing telecommunication satellite into space,” the president told a gathering in the central Iranian province of Arak Saturday.
Ahmadinejad added that the satellite developed by its scientists is the most advanced technology of its kind.
Western sanctions have been proved ineffective in obstructing Iran’s progress in rocketry and space applications, he said in an apparent reference to bans imposed on the country in the backlash of a controversial nuclear power programme.
“You imposed sanctions on Iran, but our nation has now the ability to launch rockets into the orbit which can carry satellites and will shortly use their ability,” he told the gathering.
Iranian Space Organization chief Reza Taghipour Wednesday said the country would send its first astronaut in space in the next decade.
Iran earlier this month had announced the successful launch of a homemade satellite-carrier named Safir (Messenger), which is capable of putting small satellites into low earth orbit.
Iran, embroiled in a standoff with the West over its disputed nuclear ambitions, has pursued a space programme for several years.
- Iran to launch new satellite in August - Jul 10, 2010
- Iran to launch three new satellites - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran to launch new generation of satellites - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran parliament to discuss bill reducing cooperation with IAEA - Jun 13, 2010
- Iran to send man into space by 2019 - Jul 24, 2010
- Ahmadinejad to unveil nuclear achievements Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran plans manned spaceflight by 2021 - Feb 12, 2009
- Iranians not after weapons, favour culture: Ahmadinejad - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Iran plans to send monkey into space - Jun 16, 2011
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran ready to send six satellites into space - May 09, 2010
- We don't need to sell oil to Europe: Ahmadinejad - Jan 27, 2012
- Iran not concerned if Europe doesn't buy its oil: Official - Nov 23, 2011