Iran to hold another military drillJanuary 4th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 4 (IANS) Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) will hold a military drill soon, the defence minister said Wednesday. The announcement comes just two days after the navy ended its manoeuvres in the Strait of Hormuz.
“Iran is the most important power in the region, playing a significant role in protecting security of the area,” Defence Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said.
“Of course, the enemy runs smear campaigns on the issue to exaggerate Iran’s power (since) it seeks to sell its weapons to regional countries,” Xinhua quoted him as saying.
The navy ended its 10-day exercise, dubbed Velayat 90, in the Strait of Hormuz Monday. Navy commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari described it as “successful”.
Vahidi said Iran always maintained the security of the Strait.
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iranian navy detects US aircraft carrier in drill zone - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran holds military drill - Feb 04, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran's IRGC begins new military drill (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran to hold naval drills in international waters - Nov 26, 2011
- Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: ahmad, brigadier general, defence minister, exercise, important power, iran, irgc, islamic revolutionary guard corps, manoeuvres, military drill, navy commander, rear admiral, regional countries, smear campaigns, strait of hormuz, tehran, weapons, xinhua