Iran test-fires Shahab-3 long-range missileJuly 9th, 2008 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 9 (RIA Novosti) Iran has tested a Shahab-3 missile with a range of 2,000 km, the Alalam TV channel reported Wednesday. The missile is capable of hitting Israel and the US military bases in the Persian Gulf.
The launch took place at an undisclosed desert location as part of the Great Prophet III war games.
Iranian state-run TV reported that Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, naval and air units had fired nine long and medium-range missiles in order to “improve combat capability”.
“We have launched the missiles in honour of Iran, to demonstrate just a small part of our military capability,” said Revolutionary Guards air force commander Hossein Salami.
The test of the Shahab-3 missile comes after the Israeli Air Force conducted military exercises involving over 100 Israeli fighters in early June.
The exercises were widely seen as a ‘dress rehearsal’ for an attack on Iranian nuclear facilities.
Iran has reacted to rumours of an imminent attack by promising to deliver a “powerful blow” to any aggressor and vowing to block the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz.
The tests occurred even as vessels from the US, Britain and Bahrain held joint exercises in the Persian Gulf.
The US Navy Monday said in a statement that it was holding exercises in the Gulf to “practice the tactics and procedures of protecting maritime infrastructure such as gas and oil installations”.
Iran is currently under three sets of relatively mild UN Security Council sanctions for defying demands to halt uranium enrichment, which it says need for electricity generation.
The US and other Western states have claimed that the programme is geared to produce nuclear weapons.
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran test fires anti-ship missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran says all missile tests successful (Lead) - Sep 28, 2009
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran vows to teach enemies a lesson - May 01, 2010
- Iran begins 'Holy Prophet 5' war games - Apr 22, 2010
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- Iran test-fires long-range missiles - Sep 28, 2009
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards start military manoeuvres (Lead) - Nov 23, 2009
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011