Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination chargeOctober 12th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Oct 12 (IANS) Iran’s foreign ministry summoned Swiss charge d’affaires Wednesday to protest Washington’s accusation over Iran’s alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States, the state IRIB TV website reported.
The Swiss embassy in Tehran represents the US interests in Iran since Tehran and Washington severed diplomatic relations in 1980.
The US authorities said Tuesday that two men — Manssor Arbabsayar, a 56-year-old US citizen holding both the Iranian and US passports, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iranian citizen — were charged with sponsoring and promoting terrorist activities abroad, including a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the US, Xinhua reported.
The chief of the Iranian foreign ministry’s North America office told the Swiss charge d’affaires that Iran condemns the “worthless claims of the US government and warns against such political propaganda”.
In the past three decades “the Islamic Republic has been the victim of terrorist acts of the terrorist groups which were supported by the United States,” the official was quoted by IRIB as saying.
The Swiss charge d’affaires said Iran’s protest will be transferred to the US government and their response will be returned to Iran.
- Iran does not need assassinations: Ahmadinejad - Oct 16, 2011
- Iran to respond 'strongly' to any 'destructive' US act - Oct 16, 2011
- No 'direct contact' with US : Iran - Oct 15, 2011
- Iran rejects US claims over assassination plot - Oct 13, 2011
- Iranian leader says alleged assassination plot 'absurd' - Oct 16, 2011
- Iran says ready for defence cooperation with Egypt, Libya - Oct 30, 2011
- Obama calls Saudi envoy on assassination attempt - Oct 12, 2011
- Hand over murder plot suspect: US to Iran - Oct 18, 2011
- US charges two men for planning to kill Saudi envoy - Oct 12, 2011
- Clinton to hold Iran accountable for Saudi envoy plot - Oct 13, 2011
- US sanctions five men linked to kill Saudi envoy (Lead) - Oct 12, 2011
- Obama vows to apply toughest sanctions on Iran - Oct 14, 2011
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- Iran blames CIA for Iranian nuclear official's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over US drone incident - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: accusation, diplomatic relations, gholam, iranian foreign ministry, irib, islamic republic, passports, political propaganda, saudi ambassador, summons, swiss diplomat, swiss embassy, tehran, terrorist activities, terrorist acts, terrorist groups, three decades, tv website, us government, xinhua