Iran seeking to build nuclear weapon: CameronMarch 7th, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 7 (IANS) Iran is seeking to build an “inter-continental nuclear weapon” that threatens the west, British Prime Minister David Cameron has warned, urging Israel to allow time for sanctions to force the Iranians to change their strategic stance.
Cameron was speaking after the cabinet was briefed for an hour by the national security adviser, Sir Kim Darroch, on the imminence of the threat to Britain posed by Iran, the Guardian reported.
It is the first time that Cameron has made such an explicit warning.
It is understood that the government’s National Security Council is also looking at potential reprisals in Britain if Israel were to launch a pre-emptive strike against an Iranian nuclear weapons site.
US President Barack Obama will brief Cameron next week on the US approach to any such strike during their meeting in Washington.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told an American Jewish group in Washington Monday that diplomacy and sanctions had failed and that “none of us can afford to wait much longer” to act against Tehran.
Six global powers Tuesday agreed to resume negotiations with Iran on its nuclear programme, calling for “concrete and practical steps” to restore international trust in Tehran’s stated intentions.
Tehran says the programme is for purely peaceful purposes. But the west and Israel allege it is a front for an effort to build a nuclear arsenal, or at least establish the capacity to build a bomb at short notice.
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- US Congress passes new sanctions against Iran - Aug 02, 2012
- Iran says that it has placed 150,000 missiles towards Israel - Nov 28, 2011
- No military component in Iran's nuclear programme: Russia - Dec 10, 2011
- US to ask Israel to let sanctions affect Iran - Mar 04, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Israel reiterates call for sanctions on Iran - Nov 25, 2011
- Iran nuclear-programme could start cold war: Hague - Feb 18, 2012
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
- Iran developing n-powered submarine - Jun 13, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Iranian leader threatens to increase uranium enrichment - Jul 23, 2012
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, british prime minister, cameron london, darroch, david cameron, global powers, imminence, international trust, israeli prime minister, jewish group, london march, minister benjamin netanyahu, minister david, national security adviser, national security council, nuclear arsenal, nuclear weapons, peaceful purposes, prime minister benjamin