Iran postpones execution after EU protestMay 7th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by admin
Tehran, May 7 (DPA) Following a protest by the European Union (EU), the Iranian judiciary postponed the execution of a young man sentenced to death for having killed another man in a street brawl in Tehran in August 2005, the Iranian press reported Wednesday. The EU presidency had voiced its deep concern over the execution of Behnoud Shojaee, which was to be effected Wednesday in Evin prison in Tehran, and called for the verdict to be revised.
The EU argued that Shojaee was a minor at the time of the crime and the death sentence issued by Iran was a contravention of international rights.
Without directly referring to the EU protest, Fars news agency reported that the postponement order came from the head of the judiciary, Hashemi Shahroudi, who is reportedly after a settlement with the victim’s family to avoid the death sentence.
According to prevailing laws in Iran, victims’ families can either demand the implementation of the death sentence or receive blood money instead.
- Ex-Iranian president's daughter jailed - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran hangs woman for murdering football hubby's first wife - Dec 01, 2010
- Ex-Iranian soccer star's 'permanent' wife's son kicked stool to hang mum's 'love rival' - Dec 03, 2010
- Iran's chief justice urges judiciary to consider Saberi's appeal - Apr 20, 2009
- Man gets death for killing Iranian N-scientist - Aug 29, 2011
- US condemns death sentence of Iran pastor - Feb 24, 2012
- Iranian 'stoning to death' woman may be executed by Wednesday, claim HR observers - Nov 02, 2010
- Iran pressurizes convicted woman to reveal campaigners names - Jul 22, 2010
- Iran approves release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying - Sep 21, 2011
- Iranian filmmaker Panahi's appeal against jail term rejected - Oct 19, 2011
- Jailed Iran activist dies during hunger strike - Jun 12, 2011
- Iran threatens legal action over oil embargo - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination charge - Oct 12, 2011
- EU to enforce Iran oil embargo from July onwards - Jun 26, 2012
- Iranian cleric warns against UN, EU support to Britain - Dec 03, 2011