Iran not an enemy of Russia: MinisterMarch 23rd, 2012 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 23 (IANS) Russia does not consider Iran an enemy, but opposes the country’s development of nuclear arms, a Russian minister has said.
Deputy Defence Minister Anatoly Antonov said Iran was Russia’s neighbour, and that Moscow treats its neighbour “carefully”, Xinhua reported.
However, he stressed that Russia was committed to a non-proliferation regime.
“Russia is not interested in the emergence of new nuclear missile threats on the perimeter of its borders. This is a fundamental stance of Russia, and this is a matter of principle for us,” Antonov said.
Meanwhile, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has warned against a possible military scenario in Iran.
He said there was still potential to settle the Iranian nuclear issue through negotiations.
“All possibilities for negotiations have not been used yet. It is necessary to reach an agreement and we’re dealing with it,” Ryabkov said.
“Diplomacy is better than a war. Talks are better than bomb strikes,” he said.
He said a meeting between Iran and six international mediators — Russia, US, France, Britain, China and Germany — will likely be held in April, but the date and the place have not been fixed yet.
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- No military component in Iran's nuclear programme: Russia - Dec 10, 2011
- Iran n-issue no excuse for US missile defence: Russia - Mar 24, 2012
- 'West mulling military action against Iran' - May 21, 2012
- Russia may boost nuclear potential: Minister - Feb 06, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Six-party talks on Iran n-programme 'positive' - Apr 14, 2012
- Six-party talks on Iran n-programme 'positive' (Lead, Correcting day in intro) - Apr 14, 2012
- Six-party n-talks 'positive'; Iran refuses meeting with US (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- Istanbul to host next Iran n-talks - Jun 20, 2012
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
Tags: anatoly, antonov, deputy defence minister, diplomacy, emergence, foreign minister, international mediators, missile threats, moscow, negotiations, neighbour, non proliferation, nuclear arms, nuclear issue, nuclear missile, perimeter, russian minister, us france, war talks, xinhua