Iran n-talks constructive: EUApril 15th, 2012 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, April 15 (IANS) Talks between six world powers and Iran on its nuclear programme have been described as “constructive and useful” by European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
Speaking at a press conference shortly after the meeting ended here Saturday, Ashton said: “We have agreed that the non-proliferation treaty forms a key basis for what must be serious engagement to ensure all the obligations under the treaty are met by Iran while fully respecting Iran’s right to the peaceful use of nuclear energy.”
The top EU official also said that the next meeting between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council — the US, France, Russia, China, and Britain — plus Germany (P5+1), will be held May 23 in Baghdad.
“We expect that subsequent meetings will lead to concrete steps toward a comprehensive negotiated solution which restores international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of the Iranian nuclear program,” Xinhua quoted Ashton as saying.
- Istanbul to host next Iran n-talks - Jun 20, 2012
- Six-party n-talks 'positive'; Iran refuses meeting with US (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Iran's Chief Negotiator say nuclear talks will advance only through 'common logic' - Jan 23, 2011
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- Enter dialogues 'without pre-condition', Iran urged - Mar 08, 2012
- Clinton says diplomacy with Iran not infinite - Apr 05, 2012
- 'Robust' sanctions should drive Iran back to talks, says EU - Jul 26, 2010
- India for peaceful resolution of Iranian nuclear issue - Mar 23, 2011
- Iran nuke talks set for Istanbul - Apr 01, 2012
- Iran hopeful over Baghdad n-talks: Minister - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran ready to hold nuclear talks: Minister - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran's nuke-related demands prerequisites, not pre-conditions, says key official - Jan 23, 2011
- Baghdad talks may help resolve Iranian n-dispute: China - May 21, 2012
- European Union approves new sanctions against Iran - Jul 26, 2010
- 'No contradiction in India's ties with Iran, US' - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: ashton, baghdad, concrete steps, european union, foreign policy, international confidence, iran, istanbul, members of the un, members of the un security council, non proliferation treaty, nuclear program, p5, peaceful nature, policy chief, russia, un security council, us france, use of nuclear energy, xinhua