Iran missile programme no threat to Europe: French officialMay 4th, 2012 - 10:33 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iran’s ballistic missile programme does not yet pose a threat to Europe or the US, a top French official has said.
“Firstly Iran’s ballistic missile programme threatens neither Europe or the US. Secondly, the Iranian nuclear programme is developed for civil applications only. Therefore, Russia considers Iran is a risk, not a threat to Europe,” Michel Miraillet, France’s director for strategy affairs and defence policy, said Thursday at a missile defence conference in Moscow.
The Euro-missile defence shield being implemented by NATO is aimed at so-called “emerging threat” nations, in particular Iran, which has developed missiles and was testing successor designs.
It would, however, be a risk to ignore the fact that Iran was rapidly developing ballistic missile technology, Miraillet said.
“Iran is increasing its inventory which includes nowadays more than several hundred missiles. Iran is developing indigenously a new type of two-stage solid-fuel missile called Ashura/Seijil. Its theoretical range is 2,200 km. Iran has proved its capability to shoot multiple salvos of missiles having different ranges,” he said.
Iran is developing its programme in defiance of UN resolutions, he added.
The US and many European nations suspect Iran of developing nuclear weapons under the guise of its civil nuclear programme. Iran has consistently denied the accusations.
- India poses no missile threat: NATO - Apr 19, 2012
- Euro-missile defense could intercept Russian ICBMs - May 03, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Russia admits Iranian, North Korean n-threat - Apr 25, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia to launch 100 military satellites - Feb 23, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- N-armed Pakistan, Iran threat to Russia - May 04, 2012
- Russia, NATO at loggerheads over missile defense - May 03, 2012
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: accusations, ashura, ballistic missile, civil applications, defence policy, defiance, fact that iran, french official, guise, iran missile, missile defence shield, missile technology, missiles iran, moscow, nuclear weapons, ria novosti, salvos, solid fuel, theoretical range, un resolutions