Iran frees two US hikersSeptember 21st, 2011 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Sep 21 (IANS) Two US hikers jailed for allegedly spying in Iran were Wednesday released on bail, the state media reported.
Joshua Fattal and Shane Bauer were sentenced to eight years in prison last month on charges of espionage.
The Tehran Province Appeals Court agreed to change their prison terms to five-billion-rial (over $400,000) bail each, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The development comes after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in an interview last week with the NBC News that Fattal and Bauer would be released in a couple of days.
One more US national, Sarah Shourd, who was held along with them in July 2009, was freed in September last year on health grounds. She had since returned to the US.
The three were arrested for illegally entering the country and then charged with carrying out espionage activities.
- Iran to release detained US hikers - Sep 13, 2011
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- US hikers freed by Iran arrive in New York - Sep 26, 2011
- Iran approves release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying - Sep 21, 2011
- Iran summons freed U.S. hiker Sara Shourd for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Jailed Americans in Iran get 20 days to appeal (Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
- Iranian foreign minister hopes for release of US hikers - Aug 07, 2011
- Iran sentences US hikers to eight years in jail - Aug 21, 2011
- Iran to release one of three UK hikers held for over a year for 500,000 dollars bail money - Sep 13, 2010
- Iranian minister calls for trial of American hikers accused of espionage - Oct 17, 2010
- US disappointed by Iran's sentencing of hikers: Clinton - Aug 22, 2011
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran to release one of three US hikers held for over a year - Sep 10, 2010
- U.S. hikers' trial in Iran delayed - Nov 07, 2010
- Ahmadinejad wants US to release Iranians in return of hiker - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: appeals court, couple of days, espionage, fattal, five billion, health grounds, hikers, iran, joshua, mahmoud ahmadinejad, nbc, nbc news, news agency, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, prison terms, rial, shane bauer, shourd, tehran