Iran denies developing nuclear warheadsSeptember 21st, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Sep 21 (IANS) Iran has dismissed as “baseless” Western media reports that it is developing nuclear warheads.”Reports in western media of Iran making or using nuclear warheads are totally baseless,” official news agency IRNA Sunday quoted Iran’s elite revolutionary guards’ air wing chief General Hossein Salami as saying.
“Nuclear weapons are not in line with our national interests,” Salami said during a parade here.
The US and a number of Western governments believe Iran has been secretly pursuing a nuclear weapons programme - a charge Tehran has denied saying its nuclear programme is for civilian purposes.
But the Islamic country has persistently refused West’s demand that it stop uranium enrichment activities.
Uranium enriched to a low level is used as fuel for nuclear power plant but when enriched to a higher level it can be used to make nuclear bombs.
The Islamic country has recently conducted a number of war games in the Persian Gulf when it tested some of its long and medium range missiles, including the nuclear capable Shahab-3.
Western military analysts have said some of Iran’s missiles can hit any part of its arch foe Israel.
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- 'EU sanctions on Iran may push oil prices to $150' - Jan 30, 2012
- Iranian leader threatens to increase uranium enrichment - Jul 23, 2012
- US using IAEA as a tool: Iran - Nov 07, 2011
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Iran denies Greece 500,000 barrels of oil - Feb 26, 2012
- Iran questions upcoming n-talks 'with no agenda' - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran says all missile tests successful (Lead) - Sep 28, 2009
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012