Iran criticises US offensive in IraqApril 20th, 2008 - 12:03 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, April 20 (Xinhua) The Iranian ambassador to Iraq has strongly criticised the US military operations in Baghdad’s main Shia bastion of Sadr city that killed many civilians. “We criticize the pounding of cities and the siege of people, which will aggravate the situations and make things worse,” the Iranian envoy Hassan Kazemi Qomi told a news conference at the Iranian Embassy here late Saturday.
“The insistence of the Americans to lay siege on Sadr city has led to the killing of innocent people and is a mistake that will lead to negative results and the Iraqi government will have to shoulder the responsibility,” Qomi added.
He, however, said that his country supported the Iraqi government’s crackdown on Shia militias in the southern city of Basra launched March 25.
Qomi’s comments came as US and Iraqi troops, backed by aircraft, conducted an operation in several parts of the sprawling slum of Sadr city Friday, killing at least eight people and wounding 61.
For the past three weeks, Sadr City has witnessed fierce clashes between Shia militias and Iraqi and US forces. US military staged dozens of air strikes in the sprawling district of over two million people.
Local Beladi TV channel quoted medical sources as reporting that at least 330 citizens were killed and 1,621 wounded during the continual clashes and air strikes in Sadr city since March 25.
- Two killed, 11 injured in Iraq blasts - Apr 26, 2012
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 04, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012