Iran continues uranium enrichment: UN agencyNovember 20th, 2008 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, Nov 20 (IANS) Iran is continuing with its uranium enrichment activities and has set up 6,000 centrifuges, the UN nuclear watchdog has said in a report. Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Mohammed ElBaradei in a report Wednesday said Tehran has obtained some two tonnes of enriched industrial uranium since it started refining the nuclear fuel two years ago, according to Iran’s official IRNA news agency.
The report said IAEA inspectors could not verify if Iran has diverted its activities to a secret weapons programme, noting that interaction between the agency and the Iranian government had been virtually cut off for several months.
The US and the West suspect that Iran has a secret weapon programme in the guise of a civilian nuclear plan and have demanded that Tehran stop enriching uranium.
Enriched uranium is used as fuel for nuclear power plant but at a higher degree of refining it could also be used for making an atom bomb.
Iran has demonstrated a capability possessed by only about ten countries. Because of the characteristics of gas centrifuges, the Iranian facility could be used for the production of low enriched uranium for civil purposes or highly enriched uranium for nuclear weapons, depending on the decision of the government.
The Iranian government has persistently refused to stop its nuclear activities saying its nuclear programme is civilian in nature and has been slapped with three sets of mild diplomatic sanctions by the UN.
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- Iran uses new machines to enrich uranium: IAEA - Aug 10, 2010
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran on brink of building nuclear weapon: IAEA - Sep 07, 2010
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran is enriching uranium at secret site, says UN - Feb 25, 2012
- Iran says it's willing to cooperate with IAEA (Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- 'Iran building secret underground nuclear plant' - Sep 10, 2010
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- IAEA wants Iran to comply without delay on n-issue - Sep 14, 2012