Iran confirms detention of American journalistMarch 3rd, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 3 (RIA Novosti) A US freelance journalist with Iranian roots has been arrested in Tehran, an Iranian judicial spokesman said Tuesday.
The Iranian parents of Roxana Saberi, 31, earlier told US media that their daughter was detained Jan 31 for buying a bottle of wine. The sale and use of alcoholic beverages is illegal in Iran.
“The arrest (of Roxana Saberi) took place on a writ issued by the revolutionary court and she is being detained in Tehran’s Evin prison,” Ali Reza Jamshidi told reporters, adding, “I do not know exactly what the accusations are.”
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqawi said Monday that the American journalist had been working in Iran illegally as her press card had expired in 2006.
Iran does not recognise dual nationality. The US has asked Switzerland, which represents Washington’s interests in the Islamic Republic, to find out more details about the arrest.
Saberi has worked for the BBC, Fox News and a number of other media over the past six years in Iran.
- Jailed Iranian-American journalist released in Iran (Lead) - May 11, 2009
- Iran's chief justice urges judiciary to consider Saberi's appeal - Apr 20, 2009
- Obama "disappointed" by Iran sentencing US journo - Apr 19, 2009
- Beauty queen-turned-scribe arrested in Iran for buying wine - Mar 02, 2009
- Iran denies arrested journalist is on hunger strike - Apr 28, 2009
- Journalist accused of spying stands trial in Iran - Apr 14, 2009
- Iran begins trial of Amricans held for spying - Feb 06, 2011
- US-Iranian reporter to be released soon, says Iranian judiciary - Mar 06, 2009
- Iran sentences US journalist to eight years in prison - Apr 18, 2009
- US concerned over journalist's jail sentence by Iran (Lead) - Apr 19, 2009
- Ahmadinejad urges legal rights for Iranian-American journalist - Apr 19, 2009
- Obama concerned over journalist's sentencing by Iran - Apr 19, 2009
- Saberi copied Iranian report on Iraq war: Report - May 13, 2009
- US-Iranian journalist jailed for eight years in Tehran for spying - Apr 18, 2009
- US seeking release of journalist held in Iran - Apr 07, 2009