IPS officer killing: Congress calls shutdown TuesdayMarch 9th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, March 9 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh’s opposition Congress Friday held demonstrations in several parts of the state to protest the killing of an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer and attacks on policemen in the state. It also called a statewide shutdown March 13.
“Illegal mining has taken place in Bellary of Karnataka, but a bigger mining scam is taking place in Madhya Pradesh,” state Congress president Kantilal Bhuria said at a press conference here.
“After the way a young IPS officer who was fighting against mining mafias patronized by Bharatiya Janata Party leaders has been killed, there is fear among common people what will happen to them,” he said.
“We also want Golden Madhya Pradesh but will such incidents make Madhya Pradesh golden,” said Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh, who was also present.
The two senior Congress leaders not only demanded Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the murder of the IPS officer but also called for resignation of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta.
Earlier in the day, Congressmen demonstrated against the BJP government in Morena, Vidisha and in Bhopal on the issue.
Narenda Kumar, a 32-year-old, 2009 batch officer was killed Thursday when a tractor-trolley, carrying illegally-quarried stones, ran over him when he tried to stop it in Morena district. He was the sub-divisional police officer of Bamor.
- IPS officer crushed to death in Madhya Pradesh (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- IPS officer crushed to death in Madhya Pradesh (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- CBI to probe killing of Madhya Pradesh cop - Mar 13, 2012
- CM involved in Madhya Pradesh illegal mining: Digvijay Singh - Mar 09, 2012
- Political parties slam MP government over IPS officer's killing (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- CBI begins probing IPS officer's killing - Mar 15, 2012
- IPS officer's killing: MP government slammed, judicial probe ordered (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2012
- IPS officer crushed to death in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 08, 2012
- Team Anna calls for law to protect whistleblowers - Mar 09, 2012
- Team Anna to stage fast seeking justice for slain officer - Mar 12, 2012
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Deceased IPS officer's father alleges political murder - Mar 09, 2012
- Shops shut as Congress, Team Anna protest cop's murder - Mar 13, 2012
- Police officer's murder: Inspector transferred - Mar 11, 2012
- Delhi police gears for Anna's protest - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: ajay singh, bellary, bhopal, bjp government, cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, congress leaders, congress president, home minister, indian police service, janata party, leader of opposition, madhya pradesh state, mafias, opposition congress, party leaders, quarried stones, state congress, uma shankar, vidisha