IPL chief Modi loses RCA elections (Lead)March 1st, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, March 1 (IANS) Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi suffered a jolt in his re-election as the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) president here Sunday losing by five votes to Sanjay Dixit.
Modi, who is also the vice-president of the Indian cricket board, lost 13-18 to the government’s nominee Dixit, a senior bureaucrat in the Rajasthan government, in the elections held here Sunday.
Modi, who was close to the previous Vasundhara Raje government, was facing resistance from the local authorities after the change in the state government last year.
“I accept the defeat. It seems that I paid the price for being close to Vasundhara Raje. The state government did whatever it could to defeat me. There will be no affect on IPL matches. They will be held in Jaipur,” Modi told reporter after the verdict.
Dixit, while thanking the public for the support, said that it was a “tough challenge”.
“My first aim is to undo all the corrupt practices prevalent during Modi’s tenure. I thank not only the association members but also the public of Rajasthan for their love and affection,” Dixit said.
The election was originally scheduled for Feb 22 but was pushed back to March 1 by the Supreme Court after Modi sought its intervention to ensure a free and fair election.
Around a fortnight back a Jaipur based voluntary organisation filed a first information report (FIR) in a Jaipur police station alleging misappropriation of funds, which were meant for disbursement among Jaipur serial blast victims.
The money was pledged by the IPL sponsors and franchises, but after the match only two sponsors did not send the pledged amount, Modi clarified recently. In a statement, he termed the charges as false and baseless, and said that it is nothing but vindictiveness on the part of the police.
- IPL boss Modi loses Rajasthan Cricket Association election - Mar 01, 2009
- RCA lodges complain against Warne - May 12, 2011
- Warne, Dixit appear before IPL panel - May 17, 2011
- Rajasthan HC issues notice to Lalit Modi - Apr 24, 2009
- Jaipur FIR against me is flimsy and vindictive: Lalit Modi (Lead) - Feb 15, 2009
- RCA to file criminal complaint against Warne - May 15, 2011
- Unfair to fine me and let Dixit go scot free: Warne - May 19, 2011
- C.P.Joshi humbles Lalit Modi in Rajasthan Cricket Association election - Dec 07, 2009
- 'Modi was the single-window to Rajasthan during Vasundhara regime' - Apr 26, 2010
- Modi loses RCA election; Joshi is new president - Dec 07, 2009
- Rajasthan Royals to take disciplinary action against Warne - May 14, 2011
- Rajasthan forms panel to oversee IPL preparations in Jaipur - Apr 07, 2011
- Warne slapped with $50,000 fine - May 18, 2011
- Rajasthan Royals steer clear of Warne and Modi - May 11, 2011
- Now Modi's ties with Rajasthan, Kings XI questioned - Apr 14, 2010