IOC score thumping win over Karnataka in Murugappa Cup hockeySeptember 7th, 2008 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 7 (IANS) Indian Oil Corporation, boasting a virtual India line-up, underlined their strength with a 6-3 win against Karnataka XI for their second win in pool A in the 84th All-India MCC Murugappa Gold Cup hockey tournament here Sunday.While Karnataka, a bit short on experience, showed plenty of pluck with goalkeeper and skipper Bharat Chhetri making at least half-a-dozen saves, IOC proved just too good for them in the striking circle.
Chhetri made six grand saves from penalty corners to deny his India team-mate and specialist Raghunath, besides a couple of other stops. But in the end, there was only so much that he could do as the IOC forwards kept up ceaseless pressure.
Deepak Thakur showed his finishing ability with three goals (6th minute, 40th, 59th) while Didar Singh (13th, penalty stroke), Raghunath (25th) and Prabhjot Singh (62nd) chipped in with one apiece for IOCL.
Karnataka had their chances, but found the target only thrice through Mudappa (24th), Somanna (39th) and Deepak (58th, penalty stroke).
Earlier, in a pool A match, Indian Railways recorded their first win defeating Mumbai XI 3-2 despite missing a penalty stroke while Army XI outplayed Namdhari XI 5-2 in pool B for their second win in three outings.
Chandla Kesu put Railways ahead in the ninth minute, but failed to capitalise on the good start. Mumbai fought back and scored twice through Ajay Kumar (19th) and Yuvraj Valmiki (25th) for a 2-1 lead.
In the second-half, Railways came into their own. Strikes by Bharath (43rd) and Innocent Kullu (53rd) put them 3-2 ahead. Thereafter, Railways hung on grimly to the slender lead despite Mumbai’s desperate attempts.
Meanwhiile, Army XI took their tally to six points with Namdhari XI yet again waking up late to the challenge after conceding four goals.
Sunil Ekka (8th), Ignace Tirkey (18th, 51st) and Jerum Kumar (40th, 41st) scored for the Army team while Namdhari replied through Karamjeet Singh (45th) and Dilbagh Singh Sr (57th).
- Murugappa Gold Cup hockey: Army, IOCL bag full points - Jul 16, 2010
- ONGC through to Murugappa hockey semifinals - Jul 19, 2010
- Punjab and Sind Bank beat Namdhari XI in Nehru hockey - Nov 22, 2011
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: BPCL, Air India enter semis - Sep 14, 2012
- Big win for Indian Oil - Sep 09, 2012
- ONGC rout Air India in Murugappa Gold Cup hockey - Oct 02, 2009
- Murugappa Hockey: Railways, Army XI still in contention - Jul 21, 2010
- PNB, Railways enter Murugappa Gold Cup hockey semis - Jul 22, 2010
- BPCL qualify for semis in Murugappa Gold Cup hockey - Oct 07, 2009
- Haryana beat Karnataka 2-1 to lift national hockey title (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Hockey: Karnataka play Punjab, Jharkhand face Harayana in semis (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2011
- India beat South Africa 6-5 in hockey Test - Jul 09, 2012
- Hockey: Karnataka win through Raghunath's golden goal (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Muruguppa Gold Cup: Full points for Hockey India juniors, PNB - Jul 17, 2010
- Murugappa hockey: Wins for ONGC, Railways - Jul 18, 2010