IOA should facilitate IHF-HI unification: ShettyJuly 27th, 2011 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) president R.K. Shetty wants the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), as a “big brother”, to “contribute” in bringing his faction and Hockey India (HI) together to form the proposed joint working committee.
The IOA Tuesday rejected the “administrative arrangement” the IHF and HI entered into as a prelude to their eventual merger.
“IOA as the big brother should facilitate the merger process,” Shetty told IANS.
Shetty said he had expected the IOA to bring the two parties together after the Delhi High Court lifted the suspension of the IHF.
“I expected the IOA to call both IHF and HI and work out a possible way forward,” Shetty said.
“They can still do a lot. The arrangement we have reached is for the sake of hockey. We have come together with a positive mindset. If you say that this arrangement will not work out, there is no guarantee that even the agreement to merge would work.”
“It is important that we find the comfort level and develop an understanding and hope it works out.”
IOA acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra Tuesday said the arrangement worked out at the behest of the sports ministry is an “exercise in confusion and futility”.
He said the IOA will never accept two federations for one discipline in the country.
“We don’t want to open a Pandora’s box which will lead to a total chaos in Indian sports,” Malhotra said.
“IOA will recognise one federation for one game, and unless a unified body is formed to run hockey, it will not be acceptable.”
The IOA suspended the IHF in 2008, but the Delhi High Court quashed the suspension last year, leading to the revival of the federation.
- IOA rejects HI-IHF agreement - Jul 26, 2011
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- Indian hockey gets a breather with joint board (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Maken gives HI, IHF a blueprint for merger - Jun 11, 2011
- HI, IHF make headway in resolving hockey crisis - Jul 14, 2011
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Sports Minister Maken will try to convince Negre - Sep 12, 2011
- IOA unhappy at not being involved in HI, IHF talks - Jun 10, 2011
- IHF seeks changes to sports ministry's proposal on unification - Jun 21, 2011
- IOA convenes HI-IHF meeting to address issues raised by FIH - Sep 30, 2011
- Sports minister calls HI-IHF meeting July 25 - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: acting president, administrative arrangement, behest, big brother, delhi high court, faction, futility, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, indian sports, joint working committee, malhotra, mindset, pandora, s box, sports ministry, total chaos, unification, vijay kumar