Investigators find black box at Mexican plane crash site (Lead)November 6th, 2008 - 6:38 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Nov 6 (DPA) Investigators have found the black box data recorder from the plane that crashed a day earlier killing Mexican Interior Minister Juan Camilo Mourino and at least 13 others, Transport Minister Luis Tellez said Wednesday.The death toll in the accident, which took place in Mexico City, rose to 13. Ten people were still in hospital.
Mourino, one of President Felipe Calderon’s closest advisors, a top presidential security advisor and three other officials were among the dead.
“At no time did the plane make an emergency call, a call that was out of order or a report that might have suggested or led to the assumption that the plane was in trouble,” said civil aviation official Augustin Arellano Rodriguez.
The authorities were trying to determine the cause of the crash and ruled out sabotage or a possible attack.
“I would like to stress that so far no indications have been detected that allow us to formulate hypotheses different from an accident. But we will investigate until we rule out all possibilities,” minister Tellez said, adding that weather conditions were good at the time of the crash.
Experts from the US and Britain were to join the investigation, which could take several weeks.
The Lear Jet 45 airplane crashed at 6.45 p.m. (0045 GMT Wednesday) in Mexico City. The explosion set several vehicles - parked and moving - on fire, although the plane crashed into the ground without hitting any buildings.
According to the control tower, the small plane had been approaching the Mexico City airport normally until it lost contact with air control personnel.
A total of 40 people were injured in the crash. Of the 10 remaining in hospital, four were reported to be in serious condition, with 40-70 percent burn injuries.
- Mexican interior minister killed in helicopter crash - Nov 12, 2011
- Mexican plane crash blamed on human error - Nov 05, 2009
- Mexico plane crash toll rises to 13 - Nov 06, 2008
- Passenger plane crashes near Pakistani capital of Islamabad, many killed (Updated) - Apr 20, 2012
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Mexico's interior minister dies in plane crash - Nov 05, 2008
- Two killed in Croatian plane crash - May 17, 2012
- Karachi cargo plane crash: DNA samples taken from bodies - Nov 28, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- 12 killed in Philippines plane crash - Dec 10, 2011
- Five soldiers die in Mexico plane crash - Nov 25, 2010
- Pakistan to probe plane crash that killed 127 (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Five die in Los Angeles-area plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- US court sentences Mexican drug lord to 25 years - Apr 03, 2012