Investigations in ATM robbery case on: PoliceJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) Investigations into the theft of nearly Rs.2 crore from a State Bank of India ATM by its guard are on to ascertain if any bank official was involved, police said Friday.Police arrested Nepal Singh, an ex-serviceman, who had removed Rs.1.75 crore over a period of two years from the ATM that he was guarding in New Rajinder Nagar after bank officials filed a complaint Jan 15.
The fraud was detected when the zonal office of SBI found discrepancies during an audit in 2010. After that, the bank took another three months for their internal investigations and finally, Nepal Singh was found to be the culprit after the examination of CCTV footage of the ATM.
According to police sources, investigations have shown that three bank employees who had to refill the ATM with currency and were in charge of maintenance had inadvertently shared the security codes with the security guard.
While the three employees had been at the branch from 2007, the security guard had been there from 1999.
Questioning is still going on of the branch employees, a senior police official said, not ruling out arrests in the future.
“They had put a lot of trust in him (Singh). Somehow, he got the security codes,” the official said. “We found that on one day, he had removed Rs.10 lakh.”
“We have discovered five banks accounts of Nepal Singh, including one in the same branch,” the official said, adding that the accused had invested in property in Faridabad.
- Over Rs.1 crore stolen from Axis Bank ATMs in Allahabad - Jul 15, 2012
- Robbers uproot ATM - Dec 24, 2011
- Bank ATM tampered, Rs.64 lakh stolen - Dec 05, 2010
- ATM thieves arrested - Aug 19, 2011
- Government nod to centralised database to tackle terror (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Banks need to modernise, guard against fraud: CBI - May 20, 2011
- Rs.59 lakh looted from bank van in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 12, 2011
- Banks to be held responsible for fake notes in ATMs - Jan 27, 2012
- Strike doesn't affect life in Tamil Nadu - Feb 28, 2012
- Security firm employee held for ATM thefts in Delhi - May 30, 2012
- Man withdraws lakhs from girlfriend's account, caught - Feb 16, 2011
- Driver flees with Rs.35 lakh cash in Gurgaon - Dec 21, 2010
- Ghaziabad cops question firm's staff on Rs.1 crore gold loot - Oct 31, 2010
- Rs.11 lakh stolen from ATM in Agra - May 24, 2010
- Police clueless about ATM frauds in Chandigarh - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: atm, bank of india, bank officials, crore, culprit, discrepancies, internal investigations, jan 21, lakh, New Delhi, police official, police sources, rajinder nagar, robbery, rs 2, security guard, serviceman, state bank, state bank of india, three months