Internet service providers asked to ensure minimum bandwidthMarch 2nd, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) India’s telecom watchdog Monday asked internet service providers (ISPs) and telecom operators to ensure availability of the minimum required bandwidth in their networks.
“Operators must ensure availability of the minimum required bandwidth in their network as per the maximum contention ratio suggested by the regulator for different services based on the number of customers,” the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said in its guidelines issued for the service providers.
The contention ratio (number of users competing for the same bandwidth) is a tool to ensure availability of minimum bandwidth in a service providers’ network based on the number of subscribers.
“There have been complaints from subscribers regarding inadequate broadband speed being provided by the ISPs. Most of the complaints allege that the available broadband speed is lower than the subscribed speed,” TRAI said.
Non-availability of the subscribed speed at the user’s end hinders the performance of applications run by them and in turn restricts the utility of broadband connection, it added.
- TRAI targets 100 mn broadband subscribers by 2014 - Dec 07, 2010
- Sibal stresses on urgent need for finalization of national broadband plan - Jan 19, 2011
- China to have 'faster, cheaper' internet by 2015 - Dec 28, 2011
- TRAI to release consultation paper on 4G in 10 days - May 28, 2010
- Ensure transparency in tariff ads, TRAI tells operators - Mar 26, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Stick to porting rules, TRAI tells Vodafone - Nov 04, 2011
- Free roaming, high broadband speeds in new telecom policy - Oct 10, 2011
- TRAI rules out compensation for number portability - Dec 03, 2010
- Customers to pay Rs.1 more on every mobile recharge above Rs.20 - Apr 19, 2012
- Regulation preventing pesky calls comes into effect - Sep 27, 2011
- India's Radius ties up with Ericsson for broadband access - Jul 27, 2010
- TRAI issues draft guidelines on mobile data services - Jul 11, 2012
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Global disparity in broadband access should go: Hindu statesman Rajan Zed stresses - Oct 21, 2010