International sex ring busted in DelhiFebruary 8th, 2009 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) The police Sunday said they have broken up a sex racket involving trafficking of girls from Russia and many Central Asian countries in Delhi and the National Capital Region.
An Uzbek woman, Intizar Imomova, who acted as the kingpin of the gang, was arrested Thursday. The ring was unearthed after a complaint from 31-year-old Tawus Nurowa, a Turkmenistan woman, who was also made to work as a prostitute.
“The accused kingpin, Imomova alias Laila from Uzbekistan, was arrested from South Extension area of south Delhi. A Russian passport and other travel documents, including the photocopy of passports of various Uzbek girls, were recovered,” a police officer said.
According to the police, Imomova had come to India in 2005 on a business visa, which has already expired. During her stay she “came in touch with many Uzbeki girls living in Delhi and got involved in the flesh trade”, the police officer said.
She later started her own ring and “was arranging girls for customers”, said the police officer. “She also called her elder sister Umidda from Uzbekistan to be involved in the racket.”
“Laila and her sister Umidda used to lure girls from Russia, Central Asian countries and Uzbekistan on the pretext of starting up a business in the area of fashion, garment design and modelling,” the officer said.
“But once they used to land in India, the accused would take away their passports. These girls were then forced into the flesh trade,” he said.
“The girls were new to the place and did not understand the local language. They were helpless,” he said.
Umidda during this time developed intimacy with Rajneesh, who ran a taxi business in Delhi, and got married to him. “Rajneesh also joined hands with them and all his vehicles were used for the transportation of these girls.”
Ummidda was arrested Dec 21 last year and her husband Rajneesh was nabbed Jan 16, according to the police.
- Another sex racket busted, six Uzbeks held - Jul 25, 2011
- International prostitution racket busted in Delhi - May 30, 2012
- Man held with 55 fake passports in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 31, 2011
- Sex racket busted, six Uzbeks arrested (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Sex racket busted, foreign women arrested - Jul 19, 2011
- Another sex racket busted in Delhi, seven held - Jul 20, 2011
- Sex racket kingpin, five call girls held - Apr 02, 2011
- Sex racket busted, six Uzbeks arrested (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Sex racket busted, 5 foreigners held - Feb 03, 2011
- Six Uzbek women held for prostitution (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Chandigarh police bust another sex racket - Mar 18, 2010
- Murder saga resolved, six skeletons found (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- South Korea, Uzbekistan sign $4.1 bn gas deals - Aug 24, 2011
- High-profile sex racket busted, five prostitutes arrested - Jul 13, 2011
- Two nabbed for buying girls in Rajasthan - Apr 19, 2011