International cooperation needed to check cyber crimes: CBIMarch 17th, 2008 - 11:42 pm ICT by admin
Ghaziabad, March 17 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation, calling for international cooperation to counter cyber crimes, Monday stressed a three-pronged strategy of focusing on tools, technology and skills. Speaking at the sixth Interpol Conference for law enforcement officers from Asia Pacific region at the CBI Academy here, CBI special director M.L. Sharma said: “There has to be a legal framework which takes into account all the nuances of IT crimes. There has to be international cooperation for effective counter measures,, preferably through treaty-mediated regime and also based on police-to-police cooperation.”
India is one of the early starters in creating a legal framework by enacting the Information Technology Act, 2000, which defines cyber offences and prescribes punishments.
“All countries need to have appropriate legal framework besides standardisation in the definition of offences and standard operating procedures for easy collection and better sharing of evidence among them,” Sharma said.
He also stressed for the need of manning international cooperation contact points by experts. He expressed the hope that the training course would help the participants in tackling cyber crimes.
The Train the Trainers workshop has been jointly organised by the CBI and the Lyon-based Interpol, from March 17 to April 4, 2008.
Officials from Asia and South Pacific region are participating in the workshop. The workshop is directed at the three areas of IT crime investigation, IT crime investigation training and computer forensics.
- Interpol, CBI to collaborate in fighting cyber crime - Dec 16, 2011
- CBI facing shortfall of officers: Director - Mar 23, 2012
- Getting back black money 'difficult,' says minister - Feb 13, 2012
- Asia-Pacific issues should be settled bilaterally: Antony (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Link cyber terrorism to India's overall counter-terror capabilities' - May 16, 2012
- CBI officers get tips on probes abroad - Jul 14, 2011
- Pakistan threatens to block Google - Sep 19, 2011
- Largest depositors in Swiss banks are Indians: CBI chief - Feb 13, 2012
- UAE, China to cooperate in fighting crime - Oct 09, 2010
- Take Interpol's advantage to extend police cooperation: CBI chief - Feb 23, 2010
- Dawood aide Iqbal Mirchi held in London: CBI - Oct 11, 2011
- CBI, NASSCOM tie up to fight cyber crime - Nov 22, 2010
- UN-backed workshop stresses anti-terrorism fight in Southeast Asia - Nov 06, 2010
- Nasscom sets up cyber lab in Hyderabad - Aug 29, 2010
- Drug trafficking a threat to global stability - Nov 22, 2011